A Hundred Indecisions

Saturday, July 22, 2006

Well, that's a first!

Turning 21 is one of those milestone birthdays. It's been over a decade since that particular milestone for me, but I was challenged to share "21 firsts" from my life and it's made me nostalgic for those good old days when we still looked forward to those impending milestone birthdays, instead of dreading them... At the [ahem] ripe old age of 33, what do I have to look forward to? Turning 35 when my fertility starts nose-diving? Turning 40 and officially being the age when it's appropriate to start receiving cards that joke about getting older? Turning 50 and all the "over the hill" gag gifts? Nope, nothing to look forward to except retirement, which seems to be getting further and further away... 65, no wait, 67, or is it even later than that now?

Anyway, enough looking forward... let's look back, shall we?

  1. First friend: Aimie Mikhelle Taylor – from grade school
  2. First pet: Yorkie named Winston who died very young of the Parvo virus when I was still in grade school
  3. First movie that scared me silly: Raiders of the Lost Ark (not the snakes, but the flying evil spirit things at the end when they opened the ark)
  4. First record I ever bought: a 45 of Styx - Mr. Roboto (ugh!)
  5. First pair of glasses: sixth grade, clunky plastic frames
  6. First kiss: Scott somebody, he was the cousin of a friend, we were in middle school and it was a horrible, slobbery disappointment
  7. First Car: Silver 1979 Pontiac Firebird
  8. First boyfriend: P@ul, the troubled older bad boy
  9. First formal dance: Junior Prom with aforementioned P@ul
  10. First love: J@mez
  11. First ‘good’ jewelry: tiny diamond stud earrings from my daddy on my 18th birthday
  12. First concert: ZZ Top, opened by the Black Crowes 1991
  13. First inebriation: at a Univ of Mo-Rolla frat party on cheap pineapple rum
  14. First job out of college: Temping at an insurance company, processing auto collision claims
  15. First NEW car I ever bought: 98 Acura CL
  16. First Travel outside of US: Winnipeg, MB Canada spring 2000
  17. First true love: My hubby!
  18. First house purchased: Aug 2000, 4 bedroom, 3.5 bath, never-EVER buy a Pulte house, 2 story with finished basement and fenced yard
  19. First child: Miss M, 22 months now
  20. First thought this morning: “You didn’t go to bed until 11 pm last night, my daughter. How can you be ready to get up this early!!!!! It’s not even 8 am yet!”
  21. First thought upon starting this list: “I’ll never be able to come up with 21 firsts.”

4 Comments:

  • First friend: Kathy Swanson - 1st grade (still friends with - was my bridesmaid
    First movie that scared me silly: Poltergeist
    First record I ever bought: Paradise Theater (Styx)
    First kiss: Sean Sturgeon (a Navy sailor in his barracks while sitting on top of a pile of dirty laundry)
    First Car: white 1982 Toyota Celica GT
    First boyfriend: Doug, the Amway freak who ran off with my credit card
    First formal dance: 8th grade formal in San Diego
    First love: Andrew
    First ‘good’ jewelry: my engagement ring
    First concert: Beach Boys, 1978
    First inebriation: 6 pack of Natural Light in the woods near my house, 1992
    First job out of college: customer service for University Directories
    First NEW car I ever bought: 2003 Subaru Forester
    First Travel outside of US: Niagara Falls, Canada 1983
    First true love: My husband!
    First house purchased: April 2001, 1700 sq foot
    First child: Lily, 9 1/2 months (first by two minutes)
    First thought this morning: “Please be quiet just 5 more minutes”
    First thought upon starting this list: “Ooh - do I look like a geek for replying?”

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/26/2006 11:50 AM  

  • I am so proud that your first inebriation was a direct result of my corruption. What a kodak moment. Oh wait... I think it WAS a kodak moment. Hee hee. Blackmail.

    I'm so happy to see you again!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/08/2006 7:04 PM  

  • Love the list!!! I will have to search my data bank and see if I can come up with 21 firsts....not sure I can do it....

    By Blogger TL, at 8/15/2006 3:08 PM  

  • TACEY!!!!! I found you again!!!!

    It's your first friend, risen from the chaos of her frantic life of non-stop adventure to pop in again for updates!! It's so good to come across your blog in the digital wilderness.

    I'm out in Blacksburg, Virginia, now -- working and studying at Virginia Tech -- DEE-vorced, no kids, and STILL haven't finished the godforsaken undergrad degree started 16 year and four colleges ago...but life is good nonetheless. I'll of course spend the rest of the day happily reading your blog and getting caught up (BABY?! Congrats! WOW!), but would love to hear from you and get it all first hand!!

    My email is mikhelect at y'hoo, and I hope to talk to you soon!

    With love and much felicitations on your happy home life,

    Mikhelle

    ps -- I put the link to my...um, rant archival service...below. Yes, I LJ. How embarassing. Long story.

    God, it's good to find you again!!!!!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/22/2006 8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home