A Hundred Indecisions

Monday, March 10, 2008

Lelli Kelly Folly

Am I a bad mother for gagging at the thought of paying $70.00 for hand-beaded italian shoes for my preschooler? This company has been advertising their shoes on the Cartoon Network and, of course, my daughter thinks they are BEE-YOO-Ti-FuLLLLLLLLLLLL.

I mean, it's not like I'm Katie Holmes or Posh Spice. I'm sure REAL haute couture shoes for toddlers exist, AND cost even more than $70.00. But I really have trouble justifying spending that much on shoes for myself that could be worn for years, much less on shoes for a 3 year old who will have outgrown them within 6-9 months.

I'm thinking we're going to have to find something similar and break out the glue gun and some beads & sequins. Although she's in preschool, I don't think my budding little fashionista will be laughed out of class if she shows up in some snazzy home-bedazzled knock offs. Or will she??

6 Comments:

  • RIGHT there with you. We have a few friends that only buy high end clothes for the kiddlet, let me tell you our high end is when we go to Target. To spill food, milk dirt and goo all over, no way!

    By Blogger TL, at 3/13/2008 5:49 PM  

  • Ack... no way would I pay that much for shoes for E. I swear she grows out of clothes and shoes from the time she tries them on in the store and when we get home to wear them.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/23/2008 8:51 PM  

  • My daughter goes to school with some little brat who her and her mother feel the need to flaunt her Lelli kelly's all the time. My daughter also would like to have a pair but with three kids in shoes I am forced to come up with a different solution and I too am trying to figure out how to bedazzle a cheap pair of Target shoes!!!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7/17/2008 2:26 PM  

  • My daughter has three pairs of Lelli Kelly shoes. I get them for less than $25.00 on ebay. They are gently used, as most people don't let their kids play in these.

    I usually can resell them back on ebay for close to the same price I paid, assuming my daughter doesn't destroy them.

    The same goes for most of her designer clothes..we buy used, wear a few times and resell for same price.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/16/2009 2:42 PM  

  • I am so with you on that. I myself saw the commercial today and the kids were home because of a fog delay for school. I plan to hit up hobby lobby and look closely at their designs to try to imitate them. Who knows, if you get good enough at it, you could take it to a craft sale or flea market and make some money off of it just like their company does. But of course at a much more reasonable price.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/11/2010 9:48 PM  

  • I just did this today...I bought a $6 pair of canvas shoes at Walmart and two packs of gemstones (one butterflies and one small circles) that I picked up on clearance. My girl is thrilled with her shiney butterfly shoes. Go crafty moms!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/31/2010 9:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home