A Hundred Indecisions

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Two-speed bike tyke

When I ordered my child, I apparently didn't read all the fine print. If I had, then I would have been aware of the fact that as the toddler becomes more adept at walking and running, the internal gear shift breaks down and only two speeds work: idle and fifth gear.

As we approach age three, my girl has morphed into this creature with only two speeds: Zoom-come-back-here-right-this-minute, and Dawdle-might-as-well-be-racing-molasses. Lately, Zoom only happens at our house immediately after she screams, "chase me!" or when she runs away because you are threatening her with Chinese water-torture, or hair-brushing as it's more commonly called. Dawdle pace occurs anytime we're actually trying to get somewhere for an appointment at a specific time, or when it's approaching naptime or bedtime.

We were at the mall the other day, trying to hit several stores before meeting some folks for a lunch date, so guess which speed we were maintaining. You guessed it! You know, at dawdle pace, we were actually lapped by little old white-haired men in tennis shoes and black socks. And these weren't even the seniors walking the mall for exercise, these were just old men ambling around the mall while their wives shopped. It was a little embarassing.

I've been informed by more seasoned parents that this phase shall pass. However, I should also be prepared for the boomerang recurrence as she approaches those fun-filled teenage years! Joy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home