A Hundred Indecisions

Monday, February 14, 2005

A new one for Webster's: puerose

This is my new word. It is constructed of two syllables: puer- which is latin for child, and -ose which is a well known suffix for sugars (sucrose, glucose, lactose, etc.). I will define it as that indescribable sweetness possessed only by an adorable infant who is so cute that even complete strangers are compelled to say things like "you're so sweet, I could just eat you with a spoon!"

My word could also be used in place of the common phrase "sugar & spice & everything nice" of which little girls are made.

The idea for this word germinated over the weekend, whilst shopping at the local mall with my husband and baby girl. It was suggested that we stop by the cookie place, whereupon my husband commented that our daughter was so sweet (puerose, if you will) that I should never need to buy cookies ever again. Now, while it was all good and well to compliment our girl on being the sweetest thing we can imagine, one does not use goofy logic like that to stand between a woman and her chocolate chip cookie craving. If he had made such a statement at the REALLY good cookie place, he probably would have sustained injury!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home