A Hundred Indecisions

Monday, February 07, 2005

I Will

This is one of my favorite Beatles tunes. It's a lesser known ditty off the White Album that has always made me smile. It's a romantic little love song, but I sing it to my daughter when I'm trying to soothe or calm her. Speaking of the Beatles, our whole household enjoyed the halftime show with Sir Paul McCartney performing a few beloved standards. (I've added Hey Jude to my soothing-tunes-to-hum repertoire.)

I hope my daughter will grow up to love music as much as I do. Towards that end, I'm introducing her to all kinds of music. She will grow up knowing the kiddy standards like The Wheels on the Bus and Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star so that the other children on the playground won't laugh and point if she doesn't know the words. But I'm hoping she'll prefer Vivaldi or Simon & Garfunkel, They Might Be Giants or The Eagles, Ray Charles or Brave Combo, Aerosmith or Dave Brubeck, Barenaked Ladies or The Gypsy Kings, Jimmy Buffett or Chopin. Or maybe she'll like musicals & showtunes... I'm currently singing her selections from The Wizard of Oz, The Sound of Music, and Grease. Later this week, I'll be seeing Mamma Mia! so a medley of Abba tunes is right around the corner.

Music soothes the savage baby; it will calm my daughter when she is fussy for no apparent reason (in other words, she's not wet, hungry, or tired). Not that this happens too often, but on the occasions when it does, music is our savior.





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home