A Hundred Indecisions

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

Memorial Day Weekend Recap: Shopping, Shock, & Shelves

Our Memorial Day weekend was full of car shopping and all that it entails. Currently I drive a sporty little two-door Acura CL coupe. With impending babydom, a two-door just isn't going to be practical. So we need to get something with four doors, something suitably family-friendly.



Living in the suburbs, it is not an absolute requirement that we get an SUV or minivan; however we will blend in with our surroundings much more easily if we follow the herd on this one. My other half is vehemently anti-minivan, so SUV it is. My criterion for buying an SUV is that I want a smaller model, one that I don't have to climb up into and jump down out of. The acid test is that I must be able to sit in the driver's seat, spin around to get out, and my feet must touch the ground before my booty leaves the seat. Luckily, there are a host of small SUV vehicles that meet this specification. And we spent the weekend test-driving them.



We drove five different models on Saturday and a sixth on Sunday. We pretty much made our decision and spent Sunday evening and Monday morning cleaning out my car and spiffing it all up for trade-in. We went back to the Honda dealership Monday around noon, ready to buy a CR-V. The shopping was done, time for the shock...



Everything proceeded smoothly at first. They had the exact model we wanted, in the color I wanted. We test-drove it for a second time. We went in to start the paperwork. They came back with some numbers and wanted us to sign, but I was in shock! They only offered me less than HALF the blue-book trade-in value of my car! I could sell it outright for THREE TIMES what they wanted to give me. I was downright insulted! We ended up walking out. Although we will need a four-door soon enough, we didn't have to buy that day. And they certainly aren't the only Honda dealer in town. The whole episode gave me a huge headache!



We did have a productive evening on Monday, despite the dismal afternoon at the dealership. My folks came over and had dinner with us, then helped us put our office together (finally!). We bought nice office furniture over a month ago and it has been sitting in our office for weeks, empty, while our two computers and our office supplies continued to reside on the cheap-o $39.00 K-Mart computer desk that I've had for years. Well, the computers are now living in style on our new desks and we even started loading the bookcases in the office. This is an incredibly important step in getting ready for baby as currently 95% of the books we own are still in boxes stacked on the floor in the nursery-to-be. Over the next week or so, I want to get all our books shelved and OUT of the nursery. Then we can begin, in earnest, to prepare the room for its new occupant!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home