A Hundred Indecisions

Wednesday, September 28, 2005

When do I get to have ME time?

Seems like every weekend comes and goes and despite the whirlwind of activity that whips through the days, I never get time for me. To the casual observer, they may not see this, but most of you moms out there, you know what I mean.

As a case in point, let's examine this past weekend. Friday afternoon after work, I went to the local cable office to pick up a replacement modem for our lightning-surge-kaput modem which had been non-functional since Monday. On the way home, we were delayed in traffic while one of the local high schools marched down the street in their homecoming parade. Then the remainder of the afternoon was spent on the phone with the cable company customer service trying to get the internet back up and running on my husband's PC. (My PC was COMPLETELY fried by the lighting-surge earlier in the week, a most tragic event.) So Friday afternoon was spent with my "technical fix-it girl" hat on.

Friday evening I joined some work friends for a late birthday dinner with MissM in tow and no husband (he had an important CFL game to watch at home). Now, this event was fun and I was happy to celebrate with my friends, but I spent the evening wearing my "I'm a good friend" hat.

Saturday morning we picked out replacement carpet for our finally-dried-out basement. Then I picked out a replacement laptop for my fried-by-lightning home PC. Most of Saturday afternoon I spent trying to get the laptop configured and up and running on our home network. After driving MissM over to her grandma's for the night, hubby & I attended an NHL exhibition game. Thus, Saturday was spent alternating the "good wife" and the "fix-it girl" hats.

Sunday I drove back out to pick up MissM. I spent about a half hour trying to find a couple pairs of pants that fit so that I didn't have to go to work naked this week. (It SUCKS when you have to go up a size.) Then we visited my grandpa (& grandma) at the nursing home where he's been undergoing rehab. We are still hoping it's a temporary visit. So, Sunday was the "good daughter/granddaughter" hat-wearing day.

I can't even really recall what went on Sunday evening. My brain is turning to mush! I've been working extra hours this week to help us meet a Friday deadline. The 15 minutes I've spent writing this rant is the only "me" time I've had in awhile. You can't count the few hours of sleep I get each night, that's requisite to keep me functioning at even the most basic non-drooling level of humanity.

No, I need pedicure, read a good book, relaxation ME time. Ah well, next month perhaps?

3 Comments:

  • AMEN SISTER!!! I so know what you are talking about. This month has been hell for me, I have had to grow 8 heads for all of the hats I have been wearing this month. Luckly my husband has scheduled a suprise massage for me tomorrow for 90 min...of pure ME time. I was suprised and so elated that he has been aware of my distress this month. I so cannot wait for that. Later in the evening we will be attending the pre-season Dallas Stars Hockey game, therefore requiring me to wear I give a damn hat.

    By Blogger TL, at 9/30/2005 8:10 PM  

  • The credo of moms everywhere... "what hat do I need to wear for THIS ____fill in the blank ____"

    I thought I was going to have some me-time about two months ago... I made an appointment to use the massage/pedicure gift certificate that Mike and Ellie gave me for mother's day. Then the lawn happened. It needed to be mowed more than I needed my massage, evidently.

    Still haven't used the g.c.

    Maybe next month.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/01/2005 9:43 AM  

  • OK - I'm a freak. I would give ANYTHING to go to a hockey game. We have season tickets for the Hurricanes and it looks like the first game I can maybe even go to will be January. And that's if the parents are up to watching both girls.

    There is no ME right now either. I'm either a worker (trying to wrap up everything before maternity leave) or a mom-to-be (just resting and hoping the girls grow as much as they can the next 3 weeks). Even "wife" doesn't get any attention right now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10/01/2005 12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home