A Hundred Indecisions

Thursday, August 25, 2005

Roll up your pants...

Last night some wicked thunderstorms rolled through town, with flash flood warnings galore. We didn't realize that the flash flood area was going to be our basement!

They estimate we have over 200 gallons of water soaked into the carpet of our finished basement. A couple dozen books, 75% of my wrapping supplies (gift bags, ribbon, etc.), and some Christmas decorations are ruined.

Fortunately, most things were up off the floor or in plastic totes. Unfortunately, the rider we took out on our home owners to cover sump pump failure only covers replacement of the carpet, drywall, and major appliances. So, we are completely hosed regarding any water damage to the furniture in our basement and other personal effects that are damaged/ruined. : (

The only thing that I'm really upset about is the framed certificate from when I joined my sorority back in 1992. It was sitting on the floor up against the wall in the room that flooded the worst, and it's pretty much ruined. Everything else is replaceable, but that... that one hurts.

There's a company here now, pulling up the carpet, taking away the sodden padding underneath, and sucking as much water as possible out of the basement. Then, they will set up fans and dehumidifiers to dry everything out.

Ah, the joys of home ownership...

2 Comments:

  • Tace-

    Contact OBX national office and ask if they can issue you another certificate, ask if they will re-instate my membership too if you call...hahahahahahaha!!! No seriously I am really sorry that your house flooded! That really sucks, I hope your weekend is not ruined because of this!!!

    By Blogger TL, at 8/26/2005 9:54 AM  

  • Mostly I hate that we don't have basements here in Texas. But then I hear about things like this and I think... maybe it's not so bad. Sorry about the membership certificate. I bet NO will send you another. And if I was president when you were inducted, I'd be happy to re-sign your certificate. Then can we go celebrate like we used to?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8/26/2005 2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home