A Hundred Indecisions

Thursday, February 24, 2005

The XYZ on XX and XY

A friend recently commented to me that my baby looks just like her daddy. And it's true, they both have long, beautiful eyelashes, the same mouth, and just about the same amount of hair (my daughter may actually have MORE hair than her daddy, but that's another post altogether). I think she may have my nose, but it's hard to tell yet. She sucks her fingers like her daddy did when he was little. Yep, I definitely see a lot of him in her. Myself, not so much.

Someone told me that babies tend to look more like their fathers at this early age. It is Mother Nature's way of assuring the father that this, indeed, is his progeny. The mother produces the baby from the fruit of her loins, so there's little doubt as to who is the mommy. But, when there is any question at all of "who's your daddy?" the little telltale traits can be an enormous relief to a Doubting Thomas. As the child gets older, supposedly, you'll be able to see more of the mother in their looks.

This said, babies' looks do vary widely. Of course, every parent believes their child is beautiful. And in their parents' eyes, every child IS beautiful. But as an objective viewer, be honest, you've seen some homely babies, haven't you? Many babies look particularly unattractive immediately after delivery, that trip out of the womb having been a rough one. Luckily, most babies plump out in a couple of days and look all cute and babyish. Some poor kids though, they continue to look like they were beat with the ugly stick while still in utero. I've seen a couple of babies that wouldn't be able to get a dog to lick their face if they tied a pork chop around their neck. Poor kids, but their parents believe they are beautiful, because beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and nobody "be-holding" a new baby mo' than its moms and pops. And that belief, that's what is beautiful.

As for me, I've been told by numerous parties (that swear to being impartial) that our daughter is just adorable. And I won't comment because I'm completely and utterly biased. When I sit with her, particularly when I'm holding her as she sleeps, I am in awe of her little features. I'm cocooned in a little sanctuary of mother-daughter love that transcends whose nose she has and whose ears are most like hers. That, my friends, is a moment of true beauty.

1 Comments:

  • Bravo, my friend! Well done. I chuckled with complete understanding of your subject matter. MY child looks so much like her daddy that I question whether I had anything to do with her. That is, until I recall the 3.5 hours of pushing and the 3rd-degree tear. Then it's pretty clear. But I throw my arms around the neck of anyone who says she looks like her mama!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2/26/2005 7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home