A Hundred Indecisions

Sunday, March 06, 2005

A Face That Could Stop a Clock

I've been pondering all week, if I could have a super power what would I want it to be? At first, I thought I would like the ability to go super fast, like Speedy Gonzales or the Flash. This would allow me to power through all the unpleasant but necessary parts of my day, like laundry, cleaning, and commuting. This would leave me more time in the day to do the things I love, like spending time with my family or reading a good book. But the more I thought about it, the more I decided that it wasn't enough. If I was going to wish for a super power, I should expect more.

And I think more would be possible if, instead of having super speed, I had the ability to slow down time itself. Then I could make those precious moments last longer. Time spent engrossed in a good novel could linger, making my escapism all that more realistic. Smiles and laughter from my daughter could be frozen in time, making them lighten my heart for hours not just those quick minutes when we share them.

Having such a power, I'd need to use if for the good of all, and not selfishly. That would be hard. You'd be tempted to do things like pause traffic so that you could navigate home faster at the expense of others. You'd be tempted to make your lunch hour last and last and last at the expense of your boss.

But you'd want to enjoy your power as well, and use it to help others. That woman in the store trying on dresses for a big party, the couple enjoying a second date with none of the first-date awkwardness and all of the tantalizing novelty of new love still fresh, that fellow in the park playing with his dog enjoing the fresh air and the sunshine; they all deserve to savor the moment, hold on to it, make it last. I could help them do that.

But often times, I'm confronted with my nemesis, Father Time himself. As they say, "time waits for no man" and Father Time doesn't like it when the fabric of time is tugged and pulled at. He wants it to march on, as always.

If I really had this super power, I would have had more time this weekend to make this a better blog entry.

1 Comments:

  • Ah yes. The More Time Woman. I concur. What mother/wife/employee/woman wouldn't want that/?! In fact, I'll take two!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3/07/2005 7:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home